Evidence is weak, I didn`t kill Karkare, Salaskar: Kasab
Mumbai: Describing evidence against him in
the 26/11 attacks as "weak", Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab
on Thursday asserted before Bombay High Court that police had not
been able to prove beyond reasonable doubt he had killed
police officers Hemant Karkare and Vijay Salaskar.
His lawyer, Amin Solkar, harped on trial judge M L
Tahaliyani`s observation in the verdict that bullets recovered
from bodies of Karkare and Salaskar did not tally with the
weapons of Kasab and Abu Ismail, though bullets found in
police officer Ashok Kamte`s body matched with Ismail`s rifle.
There was no conclusive evidence to prove that Kasab was
present at the spot, near Cama Hospital, where Karkare and two
other officers were gunned down and also to show that he had
fired at them, Solkar, who concluded arguments on Kasab`s
appeal against death sentence awarded to him in 26/11 attack
Solkar said police had tried to connect Kasab with other
terrorists, who had created mayhem at Hotels Taj Mahal and
Oberoi-Trident, by saying that he too had planted a bomb in a
locker at Chhatrapati Shivaji Railway Terminus which did not
explode. Similar bombs were planted by others at the hotels.
It was the case of prosecution that the pink-coloured
thermocol used in packing the bomb at CST was similar to the
one used for covering bombs found at Taj and Oberoi, Solkar,
assisted by Farhana Shah and Santosh Deshpande, argued.
The police argument was without any strong evidence
because pink thermocol can be procured from open market. Such
material could have been planted at CST to connect Kasab with
other bombs found elsewhere and rope him in the conspiracy,
Kasab`s lawyer countered prosecution`s argument that rear
windscreen of Skoda car hijacked by Kasab and his partner Abu
Ismael was completely shattered by police bullets. He said
this submission was "an after-thought and a pack of lies".
The case was falsified by panchnama of a police jeep
which indicated that there were only three holes in the
windscreen which were caused due to entry of bullets fired by
police, Solkar argued.
He alleged that one of the jackets found in Kuber boat
was planted by police.
Fourteen jackets and 14 blankets were left in Kuber by
terrorists after their arrival in Mumbai from Pakistan,
Solaskar claimed. However, police has said there were 15
jackets on the boat.
Solaskar alleged that this was done with an ulterior
motive to show Kasab also arrived in Kuber along with other
terrorists from Pakistan.
Kasab has taken the plea that he had arrived in Delhi
much prior to the terror attacks by Samjhauta Express to watch
Hindi movies in Mumbai.
Kasab claimed that he was arrested by police at Juhu
beach and at the time the terrorists struck at various places
in the city, he was in custody.
Salaskar concluded arguments on his appeal against his
conviction. On Monday, the prosecution would reply to defence
Thereafter, both sides would argue on the point of death
sentence awarded to Kasab for his role in the killing 166
people in terror attacks.
Finally, the court would hear government`s appeal
challenging acquittal of Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed.
The case is expected to conclude within a week after
which the court would reserve order for judgement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks