Evidence of ISI-LeT links to be made public in 26/11 trial
Chicago: Links between Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), blamed for the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, are likely to be laid bare with the release in a court here of some sealed documents.
US District Court Judge Harry Leinenweber, conducting the Mumbai terror trial here, on Wednesday ordered the release of over a dozen sealed documents presented in the court as evidence by the prosecution.
The order came on a plea by The Chicago Tribune newspaper, which sought public access to the sealed documents presented during the ongoing trial of Pakistan-born Canadian Tahawwur Rana for providing material support to the LeT, arguing that keeping the documents secret undermined the benefits of public scrutiny.
Invoking the First Amendment and common law rights, the US daily asked the court to give it access to at least the redacted versions of the sealed documents presented in the court and which are believed to have key evidence of links between ISI and LeT and other terrorist outfits.
The First Amendment to the US Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights and covers the freedom of speech and freedom of the press.
The documents have not been made available to anyone. In fact, some of these documents have not been give even to the attorneys of Rana, who is accused of providing cover of his immigration business to self-confessed terrorist Pakistani American David Coleman Headley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof