Evidence of ISI-LeT links to be made public in 26/11 trial
Chicago: Links between Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and Pakistan-based terror group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), blamed for the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, are likely to be laid bare with the release in a court here of some sealed documents.
US District Court Judge Harry Leinenweber, conducting the Mumbai terror trial here, on Wednesday ordered the release of over a dozen sealed documents presented in the court as evidence by the prosecution.
The order came on a plea by The Chicago Tribune newspaper, which sought public access to the sealed documents presented during the ongoing trial of Pakistan-born Canadian Tahawwur Rana for providing material support to the LeT, arguing that keeping the documents secret undermined the benefits of public scrutiny.
Invoking the First Amendment and common law rights, the US daily asked the court to give it access to at least the redacted versions of the sealed documents presented in the court and which are believed to have key evidence of links between ISI and LeT and other terrorist outfits.
The First Amendment to the US Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights and covers the freedom of speech and freedom of the press.
The documents have not been made available to anyone. In fact, some of these documents have not been give even to the attorneys of Rana, who is accused of providing cover of his immigration business to self-confessed terrorist Pakistani American David Coleman Headley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH