Evolve code of conduct for heads of Takhts: Dal Khalsa
Amritsar: In view of a recent clash at a gurudwara in Patna over appointment of its additional chief Granthi, radical outfit Dal Khalsa on Friday said the Sikh community must evolve a code of conduct for the offices of heads of Takhts to avoid such incidents.
The Sikh outfit`s head H S Dhami said the incident that occurred at Patna Sahib and subsequent suspension of Jathedar Giani Iqbal Singh had portrayed the image of Sikhs in poor light.
He contended that time and again unsavoury situations arise because there were no set rules and procedures regarding the appointment, removal, working sphere and jurisdiction of heads of these temporal institutions.
Dhami alleged that Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, the top religious body of Sikhs that maintains gurdwaras across the country, had ignored this demand to keep the post of Jathedar "under its control for vested interests".
He urged the present Jathedar Akal Takhat Gaini Gurbachan Singh to set down norms and rules for Jathedars` posts in association with executive committees governing and managing the affairs of SGPC, DSGMC, Takht Hazoor Sahib and Takht Patna Sahib.
He said the ruckus created on the solemn occasion of Gurpurab at Patna Sahib was a reminder to the community to "put their own house in order" to save its religious institutions from further decline.
Dhami said the Jathedar should be independent of all kinds of political and administrative pressures and manipulations. He suggested that the Jathedar should be independent of any pecuniary authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi