Evolve code of conduct for heads of Takhts: Dal Khalsa
Amritsar: In view of a recent clash at a gurudwara in Patna over appointment of its additional chief Granthi, radical outfit Dal Khalsa on Friday said the Sikh community must evolve a code of conduct for the offices of heads of Takhts to avoid such incidents.
The Sikh outfit`s head H S Dhami said the incident that occurred at Patna Sahib and subsequent suspension of Jathedar Giani Iqbal Singh had portrayed the image of Sikhs in poor light.
He contended that time and again unsavoury situations arise because there were no set rules and procedures regarding the appointment, removal, working sphere and jurisdiction of heads of these temporal institutions.
Dhami alleged that Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, the top religious body of Sikhs that maintains gurdwaras across the country, had ignored this demand to keep the post of Jathedar "under its control for vested interests".
He urged the present Jathedar Akal Takhat Gaini Gurbachan Singh to set down norms and rules for Jathedars` posts in association with executive committees governing and managing the affairs of SGPC, DSGMC, Takht Hazoor Sahib and Takht Patna Sahib.
He said the ruckus created on the solemn occasion of Gurpurab at Patna Sahib was a reminder to the community to "put their own house in order" to save its religious institutions from further decline.
Dhami said the Jathedar should be independent of all kinds of political and administrative pressures and manipulations. He suggested that the Jathedar should be independent of any pecuniary authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!