Ex-Army chief condemns killing of Indian soldiers, demands action
Kolkata: Former Army Chief Gen Shankar Roychowdhury on Tuesday condemned the killing of five Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops in the Poonch sector late last night and urged the Centre to take the matter seriously.
"I would like to see what our government does and how it acts and carry on the current peace efforts with Pakistan even after this heinous attack," Gen. Roychowdhury told PTI.
Pointing out that this was not the first time that Pakistani troops crossed the LoC and killed Indian soldiers, he wondered, "Will the government continue the peace process with Islamabad even after the barbaric attack that claimed lives of our five Armymen?"
"There will be a lot of protests and outcry in Parliament and other fora and all over the country, but it is to be seen what our government does," he said.
The former Army chief said that it was high time that the Indian government took the matter seriously and `act`.
When India`s sincerest efforts over the decades failed to "buy peace" with Pakistan, there was no need to make a fresh move to normalise relation with the neighbour, he said.
Gen Roychowdhury said that India`s Pakistan policy was `weak` and it should be reviewed "when the civilian government in Islamabad has no control over the country`s army."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today