Ex chief of Scorpene project under scanner
New Delhi: An inquiry is being conducted against a former Director in-charge of the Rs 23,000-crore Scorpene submarine project for alleged financial irregularities in a defence shipyard, Lok Sabha was informed Monday.
In a written reply in the House, Minister of State for Defence Jitendra Singh said, "A complaint was received alleging financial irregularities against the then Director in-charge of Scropene submarine project in a Defence Shipyard. The complaint is under inquiry."
The Minister was replying to a query whether financial irregularities by project head in Scorpene project have been reported recently.
The reply was silent on details of the persons against whom the responsibilities have been fixed.
India Navy had placed an order for six Scorpene submarines with the French firm DCNS in 2005. The first submarine is expected to be commissioned into the Navy by mid-2015 after a delay of around three years.
The six Scorpenes are being constructed at the Mazagon Dockyards Limited (MDL) under Project-75 under technology transfer from French firm DCNS.
The government approval for construction of the six submarines was accorded in September 2005 at a total cost of Rs 18,798 crore and the contract was signed in October that year.
The project cost was revised to Rs 23,562 crore in February 2010, along with revision in delivery schedule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31