Ex-company law board chief to face graft trial
New Delhi: A Delhi court has put on trial the former acting Chairperson of Company Law Board R Vasudevan and four others for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs seven lakh for giving a favourable order in a case.
Special Judge Swarana Kanta Sharma framed charges against Vasudevan, Company Secretary of a Hindi daily Manoj Kumar Banthia, Ankur Chawla, Vikas Shukla and Harshvardhan Lodha, a chartered accountant, under various sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
They have also been charged with the offence of criminal conspiracy under the IPC.
All the five accused have pleaded not guilty and preferred to stand trial.
The proceedings against Atul Maheshwari, who was Managing Director of the daily, have abated following his death.
The court found prima facie evidence to proceed with the trial of Vasudevan and others saying that the telephone conversations recorded by CBI showed that he had accepted the bribe which was recovered from his house during the probe.
It also observed that intercepted conversations were very crucial to decide whether charges were made out against the accused and referred to them to prima facie hold that the accused were in touch.
"The conversation as already discussed above (in the order) clearly shows not only the payment of money but also acceptance thereof, since accused R Vasudevan was caught at the spot when the trap was laid and the bribe money was recovered from him at his residence," the court said.
Regarding Banthia, the court said that he was caught at the spot when he was paying the bribe amount to Vasudevan as per the conversations amongst the accused.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged