Ex-envoy Hardeep Puri joins BJP
New Delhi: Career diplomat Hardeep Singh Puri, who recently retired as India`s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, on Thursday joined BJP.
Welcoming him in the party fold, BJP President Rajnath Singh said, "We look forward to utilising his experience in the areas of Foreign, Security and Trade policies".
A 1974-batch Indian Foreign Service Officer, Puri in his 39 years of service held several senior positions in the Ministry of External Affairs and Defence and held Ambassadorial assignments in London and Brasilia.
In 2011 and 2012, as Permanent Representative at UN in New York, he led the Indian delegation to the Security Council. He also chaired its Counter-Terrorism Committee.
Puri said he was delighted to formally join the party which he had long admired for its strong sense of nationalism.
He said he looked forward to doing party work and was ready to contribute in whatever manner the Party President and its senior leadership asked him to.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...