Ex-General Brar says he would not be cowed down by attack
Mumbai: Unfazed by the attempt on his life in London, Lt Gen (retd) K S Brar, who commanded `Operation Bluestar` in 1984, Wednesday asserted he would not be cowed down by the attack and not hesitate to air his views fearlessly.
"I cannot afford to be frightened (by the attack)... well, I have to take care of myself but would express views forcefully", the 78-year-old General told reporters at his residence here after his return from the British capital.
Brar, who had led the Army`s operation to flush out militants from the Golden Temple in Amritsar nearly three decades ago, was stabbed and injured by four persons suspected to be Khalistan sympathisers in London on Sunday night.
He expressed unhappiness over Government`s claim that there was no need to provide security to him. "Home Ministry may have their own views...They kept on saying that I did not inform them (about my London visit). They say security will be given if needed. Don`t I need security?. It is unfortunate that they (Government) are so irresponsible."
Brar said he had informed the Army about his visit to London. "I informed the authorities who might have shared the information with Defence, Home and External Affairs Ministries. That is not my concern. Whether they provide security or not, it does not matter... But this does not stop me from meeting my relatives and family. I am not a prisoner."
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil said his Government would step up the security provided to him.
However, he did not elaborate how much additional security would be given to the retired General.
Asked whether there was an increased threat perception to his life in the view of the UK incident, he said "if you go to Facebook there are accounts of `hate Brar` and some of them even say `we need to kill Brar`."
"There are hate clubs on Facebook. Go to Google and you would find threats to me. This is something that I have to live with. I can’t afford to be frightened. I have to take care of myself. But I will express my views, forcefully and strongly."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video