Ex-IITian pledges USD 1 million for IIT Kharagpur
Washington: An eminent Indian-American entrepreneur and a IIT Kharagpur passout has pledged USD 1 million for setting up a Center for Petroleum Engineering at her alma mater.
Ruma Acharya-Deysarkar worked for Getty Oil and Texaco and Baker Hughes in Oil and Gas Industry in Houston. She founded Grounded Technology and grew the business to employ 50 people in Construction and Environmental Science area focused in Texas.
She, along with her husband, Asoke Deysarkar pledged to donate the USD 1 million during IIT 2013 Global Conference in Houston.
"IITians want to make a difference to the world and desire to give back," said Partha Sarathi Chatterjee, chair of the conference held between December 5-8.
Pan IIT India, a group of ex-IITians is planning to develop an online portal for the kids in the rural India to take advantage of the online courses. This will be for 6th to 12th Standard students only, he said.
Two other IIT alumni have announced an award up to USD 100,00 each to selected winners of business plan competition.
"Conference was about giving back through inspiring innovation for tomorrow. It was not only about promoting the IIT brand but to encourage and initiate giving back to alma-mater, India and greater humanity through innovation," Chatterjee said.
During the conference Hersh Kumar Legacy Fund and PFP Industries Fund announced to make an investment each of USD 100,000 in startups to be potentially awarded to selected winners of Business Plan Competition.
Some 1,600 world leaders, energy experts, technology professionals and engineers from around the globe attended the IIT 2013 Global Conference in Houston. Among the eminent speakers were Nobel laureate Amartya Sen, former Mexican president Vicente Fox.
Flight Director of NASA`s Apollo 13 Mission Gene Kranz delivered the keynote address.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi