Ex-IITian pledges USD 1 million for IIT Kharagpur
Washington: An eminent Indian-American entrepreneur and a IIT Kharagpur passout has pledged USD 1 million for setting up a Center for Petroleum Engineering at her alma mater.
Ruma Acharya-Deysarkar worked for Getty Oil and Texaco and Baker Hughes in Oil and Gas Industry in Houston. She founded Grounded Technology and grew the business to employ 50 people in Construction and Environmental Science area focused in Texas.
She, along with her husband, Asoke Deysarkar pledged to donate the USD 1 million during IIT 2013 Global Conference in Houston.
"IITians want to make a difference to the world and desire to give back," said Partha Sarathi Chatterjee, chair of the conference held between December 5-8.
Pan IIT India, a group of ex-IITians is planning to develop an online portal for the kids in the rural India to take advantage of the online courses. This will be for 6th to 12th Standard students only, he said.
Two other IIT alumni have announced an award up to USD 100,00 each to selected winners of business plan competition.
"Conference was about giving back through inspiring innovation for tomorrow. It was not only about promoting the IIT brand but to encourage and initiate giving back to alma-mater, India and greater humanity through innovation," Chatterjee said.
During the conference Hersh Kumar Legacy Fund and PFP Industries Fund announced to make an investment each of USD 100,000 in startups to be potentially awarded to selected winners of Business Plan Competition.
Some 1,600 world leaders, energy experts, technology professionals and engineers from around the globe attended the IIT 2013 Global Conference in Houston. Among the eminent speakers were Nobel laureate Amartya Sen, former Mexican president Vicente Fox.
Flight Director of NASA`s Apollo 13 Mission Gene Kranz delivered the keynote address.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India