Ex-Indian Army officer kills family, self in US
Washington: A 47-year-old former Indian Army officer, wanted for a suspected murder of a Kashmiri human rights lawyer, Saturday killed his wife and two of their children before committing suicide in his California home, police said.
Avtar Singh called Selma police around 6:15 am and told them that he had killed members of his family and was going to kill himself, the msnbc.Com quoted the Fresno County Sheriff`s Office as saying.
Local police sought aid from Fresno County sheriff`s officials because Singh had military experience, Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said in a statement.
Sheriff`s officials tried to contact Singh verbally and by phone, but he did not respond, Mims said.
When a sheriff`s SWAT team entered the home after first examining it with a robot, members found the bodies of Singh, his wife and two children, ages 3 and 15, Mims said, adding a wounded teen was also found in the home.
The teen was taken to a hospital and is in critical condition with life-threatening wounds, the statement said.
However, motive behind his killing spree was not known immediately.
Singh, an Indian army major in the 1990s, is accused in the March 1996 killing of human rights lawyer Jaleel Andrabi in Srinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre