Ex-Indian officer who shot family in US illegally
Fresno: Federal immigration officials say the former Indian army officer who was wanted for murder in his homeland and killed his family in California on Saturday had been living illegally in the US for at least five years.
US Immigration and Customs Enforcement spokeswoman Lori Haley said Avtar Singh, who killed his wife, two children and himself in their home, was arrested by investigators for unlawful presence in July 2007.
Haley said Singh was later released and placed in removal proceedings. She said at the time of his death, the investigation was continuing.
Haley did not say whether US officials knew of Singh`s alleged crimes in India.
Singh was sought with an Interpol notice for the 1996 killing of a human rights lawyer in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!