Ex- Maldivian President calls on PM; India wants free, fair poll in Maldives
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday said he was looking forward to free and fair elections in the Maldives while stressing on the close bilateral relationship.
Singh made the remarks during his meeting with former Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed who called on him.
Nasheed is on a three-day visit here, during which he also met External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid, National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon and Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh.
"The Prime Minister said he looked forward to free and fair elections in Maldives. He stressed on the close relationship with the people of Maldives and emphasised that India would like to see a stable and prosperous Maldives," official sources said.
Nasheed`s visit comes just about month ahead of the Presidential elections there.
Nasheed was forced out of power last year in February and his Vice President Mohammed Waheed became the President.
India has been reaching out to all political parties to ensure the elections are free and fair.
However, the bilateral relations took a hit last year in November after the Maldives` government terminated a USD 500 million airport modernisation contract awarded to Indian infrastructure major GMR.
During his meeting, Nasheed said he was happy that he could contest the elections without his candidacy being challenged.
Nasheed had been confirmed as a candidate by the Election
Commission of the Maldives. He was looking forward to the September elections and hoped for a smooth election process, sources said.
During his interaction with Khurshid on August 1, Nasheed also raised issues relating to visas for Maldivians visiting India and Indian export of aggregates to the Maldives which are essential for the construction industry in that Indian Ocean island country.
During the conversations with senior officials, the necessity to ensure understanding among political parties in the post-election phase so as to ensure stability in the Maldives was also an issue of discussion, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo