Ex-MCI president allowed to go to US for treatment
New Delhi: Former President of Medical
Council of India Ketan Desai, facing prosecution in various
corruption cases, was on Friday allowed by a Delhi court to visit
the USA for treatment of his sleeping disorder.
"After careful consideration, no compelling reason to
decline permission to the accused (Desai) has been found.
Since all the lookout circulars against the accused (Desai)
issued by different branches of CBI in different cases have
been withdrawn, the accused is allowed to travel abroad,"
Special CBI Judge Sanjeev Jain said.
Desai has moved an application seeking permission to
travel to New York from July 10 to July 25 for treatment of
"Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome at the Wyckoff Height
Medical College under Dr Hrish Patel."
The court has imposed various conditions on Desai and
asked him to submit his travel itinerary to the court.
He is also required to submit a surety and his passport
within 48 hours of his return here.
Desai was arrested on April 22 by CBI along with three
others -- JP Singh, Kulwant and Sukhwinder -- for allegedly
accepting Rs two crore bribe to give permission to Gyan Sagar
Medical College at Patiala to induct a fresh batch of students
without having the requisite infrastructure.
Later, CBI and Enforcement Directorate lodged two
fresh cases relating to amassing disproportionate assets and
under money laundering charge respectively.
Desai has been booked by ED in a case lodged under the
Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) after it came to
light that the other co-accused laundered money.
Searches at various premises of Desai were alleged to
have led to seizure of huge amounts of cash, investments and
gold, all worth several crores of rupees, CBI alleged.
Besides an FIR under the Prevention of Corruption Act,
Desai, who was forced to resign from now disbanded MCI, has
been slapped with various cases relating to alleged Income
Tax evasion, amassing wealth beyond known sources of his
income and money laundering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city