Ex-MCI Prez Ketan Desai sent to 14 days JC
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday remanded
former Medical Council of India (MCI) president Ketan Desai to
14 days of judicial custody for allegedly possessing assets
disproportionate to his known sources of income.
Special CBI Judge O P Saini sent Desai to jail till July
20 after he was produced at the end of his eight-day custodial
interrogation in the case.
The court came down heavily on CBI for filing an
application for extension of Desai`s police custody by six
"You (CBI) cannot file such applications. The accused has
already been in your custody for 14 days, which is the maximum
period under the Act," the judge said, after which the probe
agency withdrew the plea.
CBI later filed a fresh application seeking judicial
custody for the accused. The plea was allowed.
Desai, who was granted bail on June 22 in a case of
alleged corruption for allegedly taking bribe to accord
sanction to a private medical college in Punjab, was arrested
afresh in the assets case.
He was granted bail as CBI failed to file a probe report
against him within the prescribed limit of 60 days.
CBI had registered the DA case against Desai and his wife
and mother in May for having assets worth over Rs 24 crore.
The former MCI president was arrested on April 22 by CBI
along with three others for allegedly accepting a bribe of Rs
two crore to give permission to Gyan Sagar Medical College,
Patiala, to recruit a fresh batch of students.
The Delhi High Court had earlier granted bail to
Sukhwinder Singh, owner of Gyan Sagar Medical College, as also
to Kanwaljit Singh, one of the professors of the college, and
J P Singh, an alleged tout involved in the scam.
All the four have been booked under the Prevention of
Corruption Act dealing with inducing a public servant to
accept bribe, criminal misconduct and payment of money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees