Ex-ministers` on JPC: Chacko defends his decision
Thrissur: Chairman of the Joint
Parliamentary Committee on 2G spectrum issue P C Chacko today
defended his decision to refer to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira
Kumar the issue of propriety of former ministers of NDA
government continuing as members in the panel.
Reacting to BJP`s criticism on the matter, Chacko said
he had only acted in accordance with rules of procedures
governing parliamentary committees including the JPCs.
"The procedure followed by the JPC is that if any
member raised any objection about the continuance of any other
member on the panel, the matter should be referred to the
Speaker, whose decision will be final," Chacko said today.
During the first meeting of the JPC on March 24, some
members had raised objections to former ministers of the NDA
government -- Yashwant Sinha and Jaswant Singh -- continuing
as members of the JPC probing 2G spectrum allocation issue.
"As Chairman of the JPC, I did not express my opinion
on this matter. Based on the consensus of the JPC, I referred
the matter to the Lok Sabha Speaker," Chacko said.
Chacko said BJP leaders should not have reacted on
this issue as if there was violation of procedures. "There is
no violation of rules and procedures in the way I handled the
matter. It is the prerogative of the JPC to report the matter
to the Speaker," he said.
"All parliamentary committees conduct their work in
accordance with the Rules of Procedures of the House. Any one
making comments on the functioning of such panels, specially
the JPC, should keep this in mind," he said.
"The JPC felt it was an issue to be referred to the
Speaker of the Lok Sabha. I have done only that. If anybody
feels that it is a non-issue, they are contesting the
collective wisdom of the JPC," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda