Ex-ministers` on JPC: Chacko defends his decision
Thrissur: Chairman of the Joint
Parliamentary Committee on 2G spectrum issue P C Chacko today
defended his decision to refer to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira
Kumar the issue of propriety of former ministers of NDA
government continuing as members in the panel.
Reacting to BJP`s criticism on the matter, Chacko said
he had only acted in accordance with rules of procedures
governing parliamentary committees including the JPCs.
"The procedure followed by the JPC is that if any
member raised any objection about the continuance of any other
member on the panel, the matter should be referred to the
Speaker, whose decision will be final," Chacko said today.
During the first meeting of the JPC on March 24, some
members had raised objections to former ministers of the NDA
government -- Yashwant Sinha and Jaswant Singh -- continuing
as members of the JPC probing 2G spectrum allocation issue.
"As Chairman of the JPC, I did not express my opinion
on this matter. Based on the consensus of the JPC, I referred
the matter to the Lok Sabha Speaker," Chacko said.
Chacko said BJP leaders should not have reacted on
this issue as if there was violation of procedures. "There is
no violation of rules and procedures in the way I handled the
matter. It is the prerogative of the JPC to report the matter
to the Speaker," he said.
"All parliamentary committees conduct their work in
accordance with the Rules of Procedures of the House. Any one
making comments on the functioning of such panels, specially
the JPC, should keep this in mind," he said.
"The JPC felt it was an issue to be referred to the
Speaker of the Lok Sabha. I have done only that. If anybody
feels that it is a non-issue, they are contesting the
collective wisdom of the JPC," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof