Ex-ministers` on JPC: Chacko defends his decision
Thrissur: Chairman of the Joint
Parliamentary Committee on 2G spectrum issue P C Chacko today
defended his decision to refer to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira
Kumar the issue of propriety of former ministers of NDA
government continuing as members in the panel.
Reacting to BJP`s criticism on the matter, Chacko said
he had only acted in accordance with rules of procedures
governing parliamentary committees including the JPCs.
"The procedure followed by the JPC is that if any
member raised any objection about the continuance of any other
member on the panel, the matter should be referred to the
Speaker, whose decision will be final," Chacko said today.
During the first meeting of the JPC on March 24, some
members had raised objections to former ministers of the NDA
government -- Yashwant Sinha and Jaswant Singh -- continuing
as members of the JPC probing 2G spectrum allocation issue.
"As Chairman of the JPC, I did not express my opinion
on this matter. Based on the consensus of the JPC, I referred
the matter to the Lok Sabha Speaker," Chacko said.
Chacko said BJP leaders should not have reacted on
this issue as if there was violation of procedures. "There is
no violation of rules and procedures in the way I handled the
matter. It is the prerogative of the JPC to report the matter
to the Speaker," he said.
"All parliamentary committees conduct their work in
accordance with the Rules of Procedures of the House. Any one
making comments on the functioning of such panels, specially
the JPC, should keep this in mind," he said.
"The JPC felt it was an issue to be referred to the
Speaker of the Lok Sabha. I have done only that. If anybody
feels that it is a non-issue, they are contesting the
collective wisdom of the JPC," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- After Mumbai Indians, Krunal and Hardik Pandya to play for new team
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish