Ex-TRAI chiefs, telecom secys to depose before JPC
New Delhi: The Joint Parliamentary Committee looking into the 2G spectrum allocation scam will start calling witnesses from next month, beginning with two
former Telecom Secretaries and previous chairmen of TRAI.
Those who have been lined up before the JPC as witnesses include former CVC and Telecom Secretary PJ Thomas.
Another former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, who is in jail since February facing charges of cheating, forgery and criminal conspiracy in the 2G scam, will also appear before the Committee.
The JPC is mandated to examine policy prescriptions and their interpretation thereafter by successive governments, and irregularities and aberrations and its consequences in the implementation of government decisions from 1998 to 2009.
It is expected to present its report to Parliament by the end of the Monsoon session on September 8.
In its four meetings spread between July 7 to 13, the JPC will record statements of nine former telecom secretaries and four former chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
The first person to appear before the JPC as a witness could be AV Gokak, who was Telecom Secretary between November 1996 and August 1998, followed by Vinod Vaish, Shyamal Ghosh, Anil Kumar, Nripendra Mishra, JS Sarma, Siddharth Behura,
Dinesh Shankar Mathur and PJ Thomas.
Interestingly, Nripendra Mishra will appear before the Committee on July 8 and 13 as both former telecom secretary and former chief of TRAI.
Other former TRAI chairman whose statements will be recorded include SS Sodhi, M S Verma and Pradip Baijal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title