Ex-TRAI chiefs, telecom secys to depose before JPC
New Delhi: The Joint Parliamentary Committee looking into the 2G spectrum allocation scam will start calling witnesses from next month, beginning with two
former Telecom Secretaries and previous chairmen of TRAI.
Those who have been lined up before the JPC as witnesses include former CVC and Telecom Secretary PJ Thomas.
Another former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, who is in jail since February facing charges of cheating, forgery and criminal conspiracy in the 2G scam, will also appear before the Committee.
The JPC is mandated to examine policy prescriptions and their interpretation thereafter by successive governments, and irregularities and aberrations and its consequences in the implementation of government decisions from 1998 to 2009.
It is expected to present its report to Parliament by the end of the Monsoon session on September 8.
In its four meetings spread between July 7 to 13, the JPC will record statements of nine former telecom secretaries and four former chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India.
The first person to appear before the JPC as a witness could be AV Gokak, who was Telecom Secretary between November 1996 and August 1998, followed by Vinod Vaish, Shyamal Ghosh, Anil Kumar, Nripendra Mishra, JS Sarma, Siddharth Behura,
Dinesh Shankar Mathur and PJ Thomas.
Interestingly, Nripendra Mishra will appear before the Committee on July 8 and 13 as both former telecom secretary and former chief of TRAI.
Other former TRAI chairman whose statements will be recorded include SS Sodhi, M S Verma and Pradip Baijal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM