Ex-UP governor Satyanarayana Reddy passes away
Hyderabad: Freedom fighter and former governor of Uttar Pradesh B Satyanarayana Reddy died in a private hospital here on Saturday morning.
He was 86.
The veteran politician had been suffering from a lung disease for some time now and was admitted to a private hospital here a few days ago.
Hailing from Shadnagar in Mahbubnagar district of Andhra Pradesh, Reddy took part in the Quit India Movement in 1942 and faced arrest.
In 1978 he was elected to Rajya Sabha on behalf of Janata Party and for a second term in 1984 as Telugu Desam Party nominee.
Reddy began his political career as a member of Socialist Party and was later associated with Janata Party, Lok Dal and TDP.
He served as governor of Uttar Pradesh between 1990 and 1993 and later held the same post in Odisha from 1993 to 1995.
Reddy also held additional charge as governor of West Bengal for a brief period in 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured