Ex-UP governor Satyanarayana Reddy passes away
Hyderabad: Freedom fighter and former governor of Uttar Pradesh B Satyanarayana Reddy died in a private hospital here on Saturday morning.
He was 86.
The veteran politician had been suffering from a lung disease for some time now and was admitted to a private hospital here a few days ago.
Hailing from Shadnagar in Mahbubnagar district of Andhra Pradesh, Reddy took part in the Quit India Movement in 1942 and faced arrest.
In 1978 he was elected to Rajya Sabha on behalf of Janata Party and for a second term in 1984 as Telugu Desam Party nominee.
Reddy began his political career as a member of Socialist Party and was later associated with Janata Party, Lok Dal and TDP.
He served as governor of Uttar Pradesh between 1990 and 1993 and later held the same post in Odisha from 1993 to 1995.
Reddy also held additional charge as governor of West Bengal for a brief period in 1993.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?