Ex-village head, brother sentenced to life imprisonment for murder
Jaipur: Vice President Hamid Ansari on Saturday said CAG has an important role to play in efforts towards improving environment by not only commenting on the effectiveness of the rules and regulations in this regard but also by offering suggestions to the government for the purpose.
He said that India has been active in international forums relating to environmental protection, and is party to 94 multilaterals environmental agreements.
Ansari was inaugurating the International Centre for Environment Audit and Sustainable Development (ICED) set up by the Supreme Audit Institution of India, headed by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
"We have signed the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), and acceded to the Kyoto Protocol in 2002,"he said.
The Vice-President said the importance of environment audit has been compounded by the ever increasing expenditure on protection and conservation of environment.
He recalled the growing international commitments made by India as state party to various global treaties and conventions and introduction of laws and regulations aimed at controlling degradation of environment.
There is an increasing environmental awareness as corroborated by various grassroots green movements across India, he said.
Ansari said the CAG, besides commenting on effectiveness of rules, regulations and programmes for conserving the environment, should also offer concrete recommendations to the executive for improving environmental governance.
Speaking on the occasion, Comptroller and Auditor General of India, Vinod Rai, said CAG has been actively associating itself with the International Community of Supreme Audit Institutions to factor in Environmental concerns while undertaking auditing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez