Examine possibility of Criminal Justice Panel: Liberhan
Delhi: The Liberhan Commission has recommended to the government to examine the desirability of establishing a Criminal Justice Commission.
The Commission which went into the demolition of the Babri Masjid said such a panel should comprehensively monitor the performance of all law enforcement agencies and apply corrective measures wherever needed.
In its Action Taken Report (ATR), the government said the Law Commission of India will be requested to study the desirability of establishing such a panel.
The Liberhan Commission also said threat from communal violence needed to be dealt with firmly.
"Specialised investigating squads need to be formed under the state criminal investigation agencies and communal offences or crimes committed during communal riots ought to be
vigorously investigated," the Commission has recommended.
Besides, it wanted the governments should not be able to withdraw charges relating to communal riots.
Accepting the recommendations, the government said one of the measures contemplated was the Communal Violence (Prevention, Control and Rehabilitation of Victims) Bill. The bill contemplates setting up of special courts.
Besides, the government detailed in the ATR the status of three cases regarding the Babri Masjid demolition. It said one case against lakhs of unknown karsevaks was on in a special court in Lucknow while another case against eight accused was in progress in special court of Rai Bareli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh