Exclusive commando unit for Parliament security deployed
New Delhi: An exclusive specially trained paramilitary unit armed with the latest gadgets and weaponry has now been deployed for security of Parliament house complex.
The team, drawn from the best trained men and women of the CRPF, has been named the Parliament Duty Group (PDG). The creation of the PDG was mooted in the aftermath of the 2001 Parliament terror attack.
The Parliament House till now was guarded by troops drawn from various units of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Delhi Police.
The new squad, 1,540 personnel-strong, will comprise those who have not only successfully completed commando and tactics training, but are also adept in dealing with nuclear and bio-chemical emergencies.
"The squad is operational and has been deployed. These personnel have been trained according to specific requirements of this important task which needs them to be highly motivated and skillful to deal with a security challenge," CRPF Inspector General (Northern Range) AP Maheshwari told a news agency.
The IG will be the administrative controller of the squad.
The Union Home Ministry had approved the creation of the special unit in April last year to guard the complex which comprises the main Parliament House, reception office building, Sansadiya Gyanpeeth (Parliament library building) and Parliament House Annexe.
The commando-trained CRPF personnel have been armed with the latest gadgets and weaponry and they will soon be given special emblems to don them on their uniforms.
The unit will function under the operational command of the Additional Secretary (Security) of Parliament House with the overall in-charge being the Director General of CRPF.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands