Exclusive: How the government bungled up?
New Delhi: It was a collective plunge off the cliff, as a senior minister puts it colourfully for the UPA government.
1. The CCPA met and hold the union Home Minister to take a "very hard line" on Anna Hazare`s fast.
2. P Chidambaram told them that he was of the view that Anna should be allowed to fast `indefinitely subject to medical examination" which would take the wind out of the movement.
3. In the absence of Sonia Gandhi, he was overruled and that is when the three-day farcical conditions were applied.
4. After that in what is now being described as "ill advised adventurism", Manish Tewari was told to attack Anna and not hold back.
5. Throughout these developments, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh was fully aware and an active participant in the decisions.
6. P Chidambaram was told collectively let the police take what action they feel is justified.
7. The government was caught completely unawares by the agitation.
8. The government was also banking on an Intelligence Bureau report which said that Hazare who was admitted to Medanta in Gurgoan was in poor health.
9. The volte face was just as fast and just as collective with the government left with egg on its face.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report