Exiled Hussain could return by Dec if Govt has its way
New Delhi: Renowned Indian painter MF Hussain could finally return to his home land if the UPA government has its way.
Sources in Home Ministery suggest that the govt is working out a plan to bring the painter- in self exile in Dubai since 2006- back to India by weeding out the legal hurdles by the year end. The Centre is
contemplating to approach the Supreme Court for expeditious disposal of all cases arising out of his controversial paintings.
Hussain had left India after extreme Hindu groups protested against and vandalized his paintings, calling them provocative and demeaning their faith. They were against Hussain painting nudes of Gods & Goddesses.
Now, after the painter himself appealed on his 94th birthday that he would like to return to India, Govt is set to either drop cases against him or refuse permission to prosecute Hussain.
Home Ministry sources said the cases filled across the country against Husain should be brought to a logical conclusion and this will enable the government to work out a focused strategy to bring him back.
Even his lawyer Akhil Sibal told a TV channel there was nothing that should keep Hussain away from his home. “If there is nothing against him, then all this should be brought to an end,” he said.
Of the seven cases against him, only three still remain. The Delhi HC in May last year quashed some of the criminal proceedings against the nonogenarian painter, saying his paintings were an expression of creativity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...