Expecting fair, speedy trial in Italian marines case: Envoy
Panaji: Italy on Saturday said it expects "fair and fast" trial of its marines, allegedly involved in the killing of two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast that should be to the satisfaction of both the countries.
"This has been a difficult issue between the two governments for the last 16 months. We are working with the Indian institutions for the investigation and trial to be concluded soon with mutual satisfaction," Daniele Mancini, Italy`s Ambassador to India, told a news agency in Goa.
"We are expecting a fair and fast trial," he added.
The marines issue did not touch upon the very positive public opinion about India in Italy and vice versa, which is very important, he added.
"What we want to do is that two governments should come together more strongly after this case and I am pretty confident that it will happen," he added.
Mancini was here to meet the representatives at Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI).
The Ambassador also met Goa Governor BV Wanchoo and Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar.
On February 15, 2012, two Indian fishermen on a fishing boat were allegedly shot dead by members of an Italian Vessel Protection Detachment (VPD) deployed on MT Enrica Lexie at approximately 20.5 nautical miles off the coast of Kerala.
The two marines-- Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone-- are being tried for murder by Indian investigating authorities.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends