Expedite relief to 26/11 affected, Cong tells Maha, Centre
New Delhi: With the opposition attacking
the government for delay in compensation to the victims of
26/11 terror strikes, Congress today hoped adequate steps
would be taken by the state and the Centre if there has been
lacunae in giving relief.
"We hope adequate steps will be taken. We request the
state and the central government that if there is anything
that requires attention, it should be given top priority,"
Party spokesperson Shakeel Ahmed told reporters here.
He was replying to a volley of questions about the
allegations of Leader of Opposition L K Advani and other
leaders that a large number of the family members of those
killed or injured in the terror strikes are yet to get
"The family members of victims should be supported and
they should be able to receive whatever is possible by the
government...we urge both governments to look into the matter
seriously," Ahmed added.
The party also said that different opinions being
voiced about the killing of police officers during the Mumbai
terror strikes is a "sensitive issue" and efforts should be
taken to ensure there is no confusion on it.
"This is a very sensitive issue....there should not be
any confusion on it. Many types of opinions have been voiced
on the issue. The state government is probing the case and can
examine the issue if it feels the need. We as a (political)
party say if there is any grievance by anybody, it should be
looked into," Ahmad said.
Ahmed was responding to queries about doubts being
raised about the circumstances surrounding the officers`
killings by a number of people including the wife of a police
officer, who recently talked about the issue in a book penned
The Congress leader also said the country is now
better equipped to face a situation like the one that unfolded
in Mumbai last year.
He also attacked Pakistan saying, "Those who have been
encouraging terrorists are now seeing that the terrorists have
become equally dangerous for them."
The Congress leader said that Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh has already reiterated the resolution to get the
culprits of 26/11 punished.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'