Expelled MP finds place next to Sachin during oath ceremony
New Delhi: Even as Sachin Tendulkar on Monday took oath as a member of the Rajya Sabha, a former MP who was expelled in the cash-for-query scam was conspicuous by his presence during the ceremony.
Pradeep Gandhi, one of the 11 MPs expelled from Parliament after being found guilty in the cash-for-query scam in 2005, was seen standing next to Sachin after his swearing-in inside Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari`s chamber today and was prominently seen during the photo-op later.
Gandhi was a former BJP MP from Rajnandgaon constituency in Chhattisgarh, and was a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India.
He was expelled from Parliament, after a Special Committee of the Lok Sabha in December, 2005, found him guilty of contempt of the House and following a motion called for the expulsion of all 11 MPs caught in the sting operation.
Sources in the Chairman`s office said any MP or former MP can have access to the Chairman`s Chamber.
Sources added that Gandhi had come of his own and was not invited to the swearing-in.
Sachin was accompanied by his wife Anjali during his swearing-in today and other prominent persons present included Ministers of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla and Harish Rawat and MoS in PMO V Narayanasamy, besides an SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31