Expelled MP finds place next to Sachin during oath ceremony
New Delhi: Even as Sachin Tendulkar on Monday took oath as a member of the Rajya Sabha, a former MP who was expelled in the cash-for-query scam was conspicuous by his presence during the ceremony.
Pradeep Gandhi, one of the 11 MPs expelled from Parliament after being found guilty in the cash-for-query scam in 2005, was seen standing next to Sachin after his swearing-in inside Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari`s chamber today and was prominently seen during the photo-op later.
Gandhi was a former BJP MP from Rajnandgaon constituency in Chhattisgarh, and was a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India.
He was expelled from Parliament, after a Special Committee of the Lok Sabha in December, 2005, found him guilty of contempt of the House and following a motion called for the expulsion of all 11 MPs caught in the sting operation.
Sources in the Chairman`s office said any MP or former MP can have access to the Chairman`s Chamber.
Sources added that Gandhi had come of his own and was not invited to the swearing-in.
Sachin was accompanied by his wife Anjali during his swearing-in today and other prominent persons present included Ministers of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla and Harish Rawat and MoS in PMO V Narayanasamy, besides an SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi