Explore ways to implement Indira Awaas Yojana: Centre to states
New Delhi: Suggesting state governments to
explore "innovative" ways to implement Indira Awaas Yojana,
the Centre today asked them to provide rural poor with houses
under the scheme which are compatible with their environment
and geographical conditions.
Addressing officials from different states on the first
day of a two-day workshop on the streamlining of Indira Awaas
Yojna (IAY), Union Minister for Rural Development C P Joshi
said the need of the hour was to go for "locality-specific
housing designs" under the scheme.
"It should be kept in mind that they (beneficiaries) are
provided with houses (under IAY) which are compatible with
their environment and geographical conditions," a senior
official of the ministry quoted Joshi as saying in his
Joshi said achieving the IAY`s target was not the lone
objective of the ministry but also to give a permanent
housing arrangement to the beneficiaries through the scheme.
Joshi said the government is giving financial support of
Rs 45,000 to those living below poverty line in rural areas to
get their own house under the IAY.
However, transparency and accountability has to be
maintained (by the authorities) in the implementation of the
scheme, he said, adding, "Now you have to be honest (in the
implementation of the scheme. We can monitor (the status) from
here at our level."
Joshi lamented on reports that in some of the states
quality of houses constructed under the scheme was not good
and asked the state officials to ensure that quality houses
are constructed for the welfare of the beneficiaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Allergic customer dies after being served nut-based curry; restaurant owner found guilty
- Here's a guide to fertility preservation in adult female cancer survivors
- China apprehensive of Tim Cook's plans for India: Chinese media
- Hilarious: Can you guess who these face-swapped celebrities are? – Watch to know
- Himachal Pradesh favours more vehicles going to Rohtang Pass from Manali