Explosive material seized from relative of LeT militant
Kannur: Police on Thursday recovered an
unspecified quantity of ammonium nitrate -- reportedly
"leftovers" by suspected LeT militant T Nazir for carrying out
subversive activities in the country -- even as four of his
associates were also arrested here.
The explosive substance was seized from a pit dug in
the premises of the residence of a close relative of Afzal,
taken into custody earlier today for his alleged links with
Nazir, near Chakkarakkal in the district.
Police said the Special Investigation Team probing
terror-related cases in Kerala are carrying out search
operations near Chakkarakkal.
They said the seizure was made on information gleaned
from Nazir, questioned by Kerala and Karnataka police in
Bangalore in connection with various terror related cases in
the southern states.
Nazir, a resident of Kannur, arrested by Bangladesh
Rifles along with associate Shafaz recently, reportedly told
police in Bangalore that around 75 kg of ammonium nitrate, a
major component used to devise explosives, was kept in the
The explosives are reportedly "leftovers" by Nazir for
carrying out subversive activities in parts of the country.
Police said the actual quantity of the seized explosives could
not be ascertained as the operation was going on.
Meanwhile, SIT had rounded up Muthalib and Afasal
today and Rahnaz and Sharfuddin last night, taking the total
number of those held to five. Shamir, said to be an accomplice
of Nazir, was arrested near here yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday