Extend Parl session to pass bill for quota in promotion: BSP
New Delhi: With the Rajya Sabha failing to take up the contentious bill providing for quota in promotion for SCs and STs, BSP on Thursday demanded extending the ongoing session of Parliament and asked the Centre to find a "middle path" in coal block issue to end disruptions caused by BJP.
"If the central government really wants the bill to be passed, it should ensure smooth functioning of the House. It should find a middle path on the coal issue to end the disruptions caused by BJP and its allies as coal scam too is no less important," BSP chief Mayawati said in a statement.
She also demanded extending the ongoing Monsoon Session by 10 to 12 days so that the bill could be passed. Tomorrow is the last day of the session.
Accusing the Centre of playing a "double game", she said while the bill has been introduced, it is not being passed to keep those against it in good humour.
Mayawati, whose party has been demanding reservation in promotion, also referred to the opposition by the SP.
"The Centre should find a way for peaceful conduct of business in the Rajya Sabha by controlling people who are opposed to the measure," she said.
The Constitution Amendment Bill, which was introduced in the House yesterday amid commotion and scuffle between members of SP and BSP in the House, could not be taken up for passage even as Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy rose to move it.
Members of SP and Shiv Sena trooped into the Well shouting slogans against the proposed legislation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say