Extended talks between PM Modi, Xi Jinping a good sign: Expert
New Delhi: Chairperson and Associate Professor of Chinese Studies at the Centre for East Asian Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Alka Acharya, said on Tuesday that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping is a good sign for improving bilateral ties between the two countries.
Acharya told a news agency, "These are meetings held on the sidelines of main international gatherings. They have become very useful places where you can do a variety of things. You talk on issues which have not been discussed. In this case, it is the first time that Modi is meeting him (President Jinping) personally. So, maybe certain issues of India`s priority may be put before him."
"An informal chat is always better in terms of setting a good ambience. From what I have gathered, he (Modi) has raised two or three issues, one being alternative routes for the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra, which the Chinese have considered positively. Another is a peaceful resolution of the border dispute," she added.
She also said, "The fact that that the Chinese President will be visiting India, so, maybe, we can see some kind of broad direction of positive momentum to the relationship."
The PM meeting was scheduled for 40 minutes. However, it went on for 80 minutes.
On this, Archarya said, "It is always a good sign when leaders go on talking for a long time. The fact that it is the first meeting, will always be exploratory one. So, it`s a good sign."
Modi, who met President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the VIth BRICS Summit in Fortaleza, Brazil, expressed hope that President Xi Jinping`s planned visit to India this year was an opportunity to chart a new and ambitious agenda for the strategic partnership between India and China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31