Extended talks between PM Modi, Xi Jinping a good sign: Expert
New Delhi: Chairperson and Associate Professor of Chinese Studies at the Centre for East Asian Studies, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Alka Acharya, said on Tuesday that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping is a good sign for improving bilateral ties between the two countries.
Acharya told a news agency, "These are meetings held on the sidelines of main international gatherings. They have become very useful places where you can do a variety of things. You talk on issues which have not been discussed. In this case, it is the first time that Modi is meeting him (President Jinping) personally. So, maybe certain issues of India`s priority may be put before him."
"An informal chat is always better in terms of setting a good ambience. From what I have gathered, he (Modi) has raised two or three issues, one being alternative routes for the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra, which the Chinese have considered positively. Another is a peaceful resolution of the border dispute," she added.
She also said, "The fact that that the Chinese President will be visiting India, so, maybe, we can see some kind of broad direction of positive momentum to the relationship."
The PM meeting was scheduled for 40 minutes. However, it went on for 80 minutes.
On this, Archarya said, "It is always a good sign when leaders go on talking for a long time. The fact that it is the first meeting, will always be exploratory one. So, it`s a good sign."
Modi, who met President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the VIth BRICS Summit in Fortaleza, Brazil, expressed hope that President Xi Jinping`s planned visit to India this year was an opportunity to chart a new and ambitious agenda for the strategic partnership between India and China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news