Extradited Indian convicted in US murder trial
Chicago: An Indian-origin computer scientist, extradited from India to face trial in the US for a 2008 triple murder, was today found guilty of killing his wife and two children by slashing their throats.
After deliberating less than two hours, a stone-faced jury convicted Lakshminivasa Nerusu of three counts of first-degree premeditated murder in the slashing deaths of his wife and two children five years ago.
Nerusu, 46, who did not deny killing his family, showed no emotion as the five men and seven women on the jury were polled by Oakland County Circuit Judge Nanci Grant, The Detroit Free Press reported.
Some jurors were emphatic in their reiteration of Nerusu`s guilt. He will be sentenced to life in prison without parole on July 3 by the court in Michigan.
The verdict came after a week-long trial that included horrific pictures of Nerusu`s family members dead on the floor of their Michigan house, their throats slit.
Assistant Prosecutor Tricia Dare contended Nerusu killed his family to escape an unhappy marriage.
Nerusu quarrelled with his wife, Jayalakshmi, 37, the morning of October 13, 2008, then stabbed her dozens of times with a kitchen knife, before slashing her throat.
He waited for his daughter, Tejasvi, 14, to arrive home from school before ambushing her as she came through the door. Forty minutes later, he attacked his son, Siva Kumar, 12, as he, too, arrived home.
Nerusu, a computer scientist with a master`s degree in mathematics, fled to Hyderabad the next day but was arrested in 2013 and extradited back to Michigan to face murder charges.
Nerusu, 46, admitted to the killings, and testified on his own behalf, but said he blacked out and could not recall the details. He admitted he would sometimes slap his wife when they argued and worried that she would call the police.
Defense attorney Lawrence Kaluzny argued Nerusu was insane at the time, but jurors clearly disbelieved that.
The jury deliberated a little more than an hour yesterday after hearing closing arguments, then came back today when they delivered the guilty verdicts after about 15 more minutes of deliberation.
Nerusu had no supporters in the courtroom as he was led away, shackled and surrounded by six Oakland County Deputies.
Kaluzny said the verdict came as no surprise to him or his client.
"I talked with him before and told him what to expect," Kaluzny was quoted as saying. "I did what I could for him."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015