Extradited man sent to judicial custody
New Delhi: A Delhi court today sent a
35-year-old man, who has been extradited from the UAE, as he
was wanted in connection with seizure of communication
equipments meant for terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir, to 14
days judicial custody.
Link Metropolitan Magistrate remanded Sheikh Sajjad, who
is suspected to be linked to terror outfit Al Badr, to
judicial custody till May 31.
Sajjad was produced before the court by the Delhi police
Special Cell at the end of six days of his custodial
The accused was extradited on May 8 from Dubai where he
was detained for his alleged involvement in sending hi-tech
communication equipment, including satellite phones, meant for
Police claimed the Customs Preventive Unit had on June 8,
2005 seized a consignment from Saudi Arabian city Jeddah which
included satellite phones and high-frequency wireless sets.
The consignment had landed at the cargo complex of the
Indira Gandhi International Airport here and was to be
delivered at Srinagar.
Investigators had found the presence of 40 Thuraya
satellite phones, dozens of high frequency wireless sets,
detonators and powder-like substance during packet mapping.
Mohd Amin Khan, a resident of Srinagar who approached
the customs officials to claim the consignment, was arrested a
At his instance, one Ubaid was also apprehended, a
senior police official said, adding their interrogation led
them to Sajjad.
Ubaid was later acquitted by a court while Amin, who
had a shoe shop in Chandni Chowk, was sentenced to ten years`
imprisonment in this case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...