Extraordinary meeting of CPI(M) panel from tomorrow
Vijayawada: An extraordinary meeting of the
Extended Central Committee (ECC) of Communist Party of India
(Marxist) will be held here for four days beginning tomorrow
to give a new direction to the party`s tactical line in tune
with the changed political scenario.
The rare ECC meeting has become necessary as the CPM is
not in a position to conduct its national congress due next
March because of the impending elections in West Bengal,
Kerala and other states.
Also, the CPM is facing a bad situation in its two
citadels -- West Bengal and Kerala with a none-too-good
showing projected in the next year`s Assembly elections.
Adding to its woes is the internal strife over the
leadership of general secretary Prakash Karat, who is being
blamed by different sections for the current sorry state of
But party leaders assert that there is no immediate
threat to Karat`s continuation at the CPM`s helm of affairs.
"What is being projected in the media about the CPM`s
leadership is incorrect. The so-called internal differences
over Karat`s leadership are only a matter of speculation.
There are some challenges confronting us but the leadership is
unified on all issues," CPM Politburo member and Andhra
Pradesh state secretary B V Raghavulu maintained.
He told PTI on the eve of the ECC meeting that the CPM
had to give a new direction to its political line in
accordance with the changed context.
"The political resolution adopted at our 19th national
congress at Coimbatore in 2008 was based on the assumption
that our support to the United Progressive Alliance government
at the Centre would continue. Subsequently, we withdrew our
support to UPA and there have been many changes on the
country`s political scene. Hence, we are required to change
our political tactical line according to the current context,"
"The ECC meeting was an interim arrangement since the
party would not be able to conduct its national congress at
least for the next two years.
"As per our party constitution, the national congress has
to be held once in three years. But, that is unlikely to
happen next year because of the impending elections in
different states. The ECC became essential to adopt our new
political line," the politburo member added.
Chief Ministers of West Bengal and Tripura, Buddhadev
Bhattacharya and Manik Sarkar, will be among the prominent
leaders, apart from Karat, politburo member Sitaram Yechury
and others, who will be part of the 370 delegates from across
the country attending the ECC meeting.
A massive rally and public meeting have been planned for
August 10 to mark the culmination of the ECC meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India