‘Eye on polls, Cong talks of Muslim reservation’
New Delhi: Questioning Congress for raising
the issue of reservation for Muslims just ahead of assembly
elections in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam
Singh Yadav on Wednesday said the ruling party at the Centre has
provided very little reservation to the minority community in
the state when it was in power.
He also said that while his party has nothing to do with
Anna Hazare`s movement against corruption, the activist was
free to visit any part of Uttar Pradesh. His comments came in
the backdrop of his bete noire and Union minister Beni Prasad
Verma daring Team Anna to visit the state.
The former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister said his son
Akhilesh`s `kranti rath` campaign in the state should not be
compared with Congress leader Rahul Gandhi`s tour of various
parts of the state in the run up to the assembly elections.
"Congress is raising the issue of Muslim reservation at
the time of (UP assembly) elections...reservation in what
form. Let us first find out then I will offer my comments,"
Yadav said during a `meet the press` programme organised by
Press Club of India.
He said even without reservation, his government had
provided 15 per cent jobs to Muslims, considered SP`s vote
bank, in state police recruitment.
"When BSP and Congress were in power (in UP), they could
only provide two per cent reservation to Muslims in police
jobs," he said.
Minority Affairs minister Salman Khurshid had recently
said that the government would soon take a decision on
providing reservation for "backward Muslims" by including them
in the 27 per cent OBC quota and a proposal in this regard
would soon come up before Cabinet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says