Eye on polls, Rahul to meet PCC chiefs, CLP leaders on Feb 15
New Delhi: In a move to strengthen the party in various states ahead of the general elections, Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi will meet PCC presidents and CLP leaders here on February 15.
The meeting assumes significance as Assembly elections of nine states, including Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Delhi, are scheduled this year.
At the same time, the meeting is also being held after the recently concluded exercise at the AICC where Rahul heard problems and suggestions from national office bearers ahead of changes in the party.
Rahul had initiated the consultations soon after being made the Vice-President at the Congress` Chintan Shivir in Jaipur. He had held three rounds of consultations with AICC office bearers and promised them that such interactions would be held regularly.
The announcement of Rahul`s meeting with PCC presidents and CLP leaders was made by AICC General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi.
In these meetings, Rahul is expected to apprise himself with the various problems being faced by party in different states to help understand the steps needed to tone up the organisations there.
Though Congress in power in a dozen odd states, Andhra Pradesh is the only major state where it has a government on its own. Problems have cropped up there due to the Telangana issue and emergence of the YSR Congress.
Congress is out of power for several years in major states like Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu.
The party is out of power for more than three decades in West Bengal though it was in the Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress government for a brief period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’