Face-offs take place between Indian, Chinese troops: Army
New Delhi: Army on Thursday admitted that face-offs take place between troops of India and China while patrolling the "disputed" areas along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) but ruled out that a skirmish can take place between the two countries along their border.
"The patrolling by our troops and PLA soldiers is done in an area which is disputed. Both sides have claims to that area so when patrols come in over there, there is a face-off once in a while and that is dealt with the as per the rules of engagement in place. We have robust mechanism to deal with these issues and serious situations that come up," outgoing Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh told reporters.
He was asked about over 200 transgressions along the LAC this year before he handed over the charge of the 1.3 million strong force to Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag.
Asked if there was a possibility of a skirmish with China, he said there was no such possibility with that country saying, "I do not foresee this as we have got robust mechanisms which are in place. There is an understanding at the macro level.
"When I went to China, there was tremendous understanding between the two countries and I do not foresee any contingency of a skirmish and (there are) very comprehensive rules of engagements," he said.
Gen Bikram Singh had visited China earlier this month and had discussed the various ways of strengthening relations between the militaries of the two countries.
India and China were engaged in a face-off last year when the Chinese troops entered 19 kms inside Indian territory in Depsang valley near Daulat Beg Oldie area close to the LAC and left after hectic parleys between the two governments for around three weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'