Failed at home, Manmohan Singh shines at UN
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: In our neighbourhood lies the epicentre of terrorism, said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in a hard-hitting speech at UN general assembly asking Pakistan to shut down the "terror machinery" on its soil.
Back at home, criticised for his failure on foreign policies and recently being hit by Rahul Gandhi`s bombshell on ordinance on convicted lawmakers, the PM certainly shined at the UN.
On the eve of the meeting with his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz, Manmohan termed Pakistan as the epicentre of terrorism. Singh said India wanted to resolve all problems with Pakistan, including the Kashmir dispute, through dialogue.
"India is committed sincerely in resolving all issues with Pakistan, including the issue of Jammu & Kashmir, through bilateral dialogue on the basis of Simla Agreement," he said.
Face with the criticism over the Food Security Bill, the PM said, "In India, we promote inclusive development in multiple ways. Legislation has broadened access to education and secured rural livelihoods. We are now building the world`s largest programme for food security. Digital technology is being harnessed to improve the delivery of public services and benefits to the people."
Manmohan expressed deep concern about the future of West Asia, saying that it is critical for our energy security as well as the livelihoods of nearly seven million Indians who work and live in the region.
The PM also condemned the chemical weapon attack in Syria and said, "There is no military solution to this conflict. We must intensify efforts to end the conflict and seek a political settlement. It is essential that the Geneva-2 conference be convened at the earliest."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report