Fair, early solution to Teesta water issue, Pranab assures Hasina
Dhaka: Visiting Indian President Pranab Mukherjee, who met Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina here on Sunday, assured her that India is committed to "a fair, reasonable solution" to the sharing of Teesta waters and discussions with different stakeholders would be concluded as early as possible.
Mukherjee, who arrived here Sunday afternoon, held "restricted level" one-on-one talks for over half an hour with Hasina in the evening during which the contentious Teesta agreement and the 1974 Land Boundary Agreement also figured.
Briefing media persons later, Indian Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai said that though the presidential visit was "not designed for negotiations on specific issues", the two issues figured prominently in the talks.
The President conveyed to the Bangladesh prime minister that "discussions have to be held with all stakeholders in India", including West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee who has protested the proposed water sharing agreement on the ground that it would affect her state.
The process of discussions will continue and the president underlined the government`s commitment to seek this kind of a solution "in as early a time frame as possible".
"During state visits, bilateral matters are not held", but due to his long experience in India-Bangladesh ties during his stint as minister, Mukherjee conveyed India`s commitment to early ratification of the 1974 Land Boundary Agreement and the protocol that was inked in 2011, he said.
Mathai clarified that there was "no specific negotiations on the agreement itself".
Trinamool Congress MP Mukul Roy is part of the delegation besides three other MPs, including Communist Party of India-Marxist`s Sitaram Yechury and Bharatiya Janata Party`s Chandan Mitra.
The MPs are all Bengali-speaking, which helped in the delegation talks held between Mukherjee and Hasina as well as when Foreign Minister Dipu Moni and Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith called separately on him at the Hotel Pan Pacific Sonargaon where he is staying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why