Faith in judiciary shattered: Priyadarshini`s mom
Srinagar: More than 15 years after the rape
and murder of law student Priyadarshini Mattoo by a stalker in
the national capital, her mother today said the long wait for
justice and "less" quantum of punishment for the killer had
shattered her faith in the system.
"It would have been more appropriate for my husband to
say this, but he now feels completely disillusioned with the
judicial system and has chosen to remain silent," Rageshwari
Mattoo, a retired principal, told a gathering of former
jurists at a seminar here.
"We had to endure tremendous stress by following this
case for 14 long years and face the unpredictability of the
justice system," she said.
The seminar was organised by Priyadarshani Mattoo
Memorial Foundation For Performing Arts, the trust run by the
family of Priyadarshini. The theme of the seminar included,
"Is criminal justice system of India under collapse", "Are
women safe in India" and "Did Priyadarshini get justice".
On January 23, 1996, 23-year-old Kashmiri girl
Priyadarshini, a law student in Delhi, was raped and killed by
Santosh Singh, son of a police Inspector General, leading to
registration of FIR by the Delhi Police.
The case was later handed over to the CBI, which filed a
charge sheet against Singh in the same year. In 2006, he was
awarded death sentence by the Delhi High Court. Singh filed a
plea in the Supreme Court challenging the sentence which
commuted it to life term, much to the disappointment of the
Rageshwari said it was incumbent upon her to raise the
awareness about the injustice meted out to her daughter and
the crimes committed against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!