Fake encounter: CBI`s plea of accused custody postponed
Ahmedabad: The hearing on CBI application
seeking custody of two accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake
encounter case was today adjourned till May 17 after one of
them sought certain details from the investigating agency.
The CBI had last week sought 14-day custody of N K Amin
and V A Rathod, arrested by the previous investigation agency
state CID crime, for further questioning.
During the hearing in the court today, Amin moved an
application demanding answers from CBI regarding the case.
Following this application CBI sought time to reply and the
court adjourned the matter till May 17.
Amin in his application has asked CBI to clarify if the
FIR registered against him in Sohrabuddin fake encounter case
in 2007 by Gujarat police and the new FIR registered by CBI in
February this year in Mumbai were for the same offence (fake
encounter) or were for separate and distinct cases.
He has also asked the CBI to provide him information
about the date when he was arrested under the FIR filed by the
CBI early this year.
According to Amin, it was his constitutional right to
know the details of case and requested the court to direct CBI
to give the information sought by him on affidavit so that he
could prepare his case.
CBI prosecutor L D Tiwari sought time to file reply which
was granted by Judge V B Barot.
Amin was ACP city crime branch before being arrested in
2007 based on a statement of a witness involved in abduction
of Sohrabuddin and his wife Kausar Bi.
Rathod, a police inspector, is alleged of being involved
in disposing off the body of Kausar Bi.
Besides, Amin and Rathod, 13 other policemen including
four IPS officers D G Vanzara, Rajkumar Pandian, Dinesh M N,
and Abhay Chudasama are behind bars for the fake encounter of
Sohrabuddin and alleged murder of his wife Kausar Bi in
All those arrested in the case are presently lodged in
Sabarmati Central Prison here.
The Supreme Court had handed the probe in the case to CBI
in January this year after it was convinced that CID (crime)
had not investigated the case properly.
The apex court had also asked CBI to probe if there was a
large conspiracy behind the killing of Sohrabuddin.
Following investigations by CBI, the agency had arrested
city crime branch DCP Abhay Chudasama on April 28.
According to CBI, Chudasama used to run an extortion
racket along with Sohrabuddin to mint money out of rich
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it