Fake pilot scam: Top DGCA official sacked
New Delhi: Aviation regulator DGCA, which
has come under the scanner over the fake pilot licenses issue,
has stripped one of its top officials off his responsibilities
following charges against him of influencing an airline to
employ his daughter, who had failed pilot test.
RS Passi, director, Air Safety, has been taken off
his responsibilities, highly-placed Directorate General of
Civil Aviation sources said here.
The sources said that Passi has neither been sacked
"He is no longer dealing with air safety matters.
Passi has been removed from his position in the air safety
directorate," the sources said.
During investigation into fake licence cases, it was
found that Passi`s daughter Garima had not cleared a flight
test in the US, but was working in an Indian carrier as the
pilot. Garima had quit the airline last month.
After going through the documents of over 4,000
licences, the DGCA has lodged 13 First Information Reports
with Delhi Police`s Crime Branch.
While six of them relate to Airline Transport Pilots
Licenses (ATPLs), seven FIRs concern records of Commercial
Pilot Licences (CPLs).
There are about 4,000 ATPLs, while about 10,000 CPLs
have been issued till date.
Three DGCA teams are currently auditing at least 40
flying schools across the country and the government has
already warned that those institutes found fudging records to
grant pilots` licences could be closed down immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report