‘Fall in per capita availability of water’
New Delhi: Per capita availability of water in the country has declined to one-third in the past 65 years, Water Resources Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal informed the Rajya Sabha on Monday.
Enough water was still available if the scarce natural resource was used judiciously, he said during Question Hour.
"65 years back water available per capita has reduced to one-third," he said. "A national water policy is on the anvil. I will soon announce that."
Bansal said he felt Rajasthan was not getting its share of Yamuna water.
Water being a state subject, the role of the Centre is of a facilitator in inter-state water disputes, he said urging state governments to quickly arrive at mutually agreeable solutions.
The Upper Yamuna River Board (UYRB) has identified the possible reasons as losses in the carrier system and unauthorised lifting of water by farmers in Haryana.
UYRB has advised Haryana and Uttar Pradesh from time to time to release the full quantum of Rajasthan`s share of Yamuna water at Okhla and to stop the unauthorised lifting of water, he said.
"Haryana has informed the UYRB that all the pumps drawing water illegally have been shut down, all pipes have been removed and special Police Stations have also been established to stop unauthorised lifting of water," he said.
As the carrying capacity of existing carrier system was inadequate, Rajasthan had submitted a proposal for construction of new canals and structures along with modernisation and extension of existing canal system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?