Families demand action by Centre to free captive seafarers
Chandigarh: Families of six Indian seafarers held captive by Somali pirates for more than seven months now, on Sunday demanded immediate and resolute action by the Centre.
Sampa Arya, wife of third officer Ravinder Singh Gulia, one of the hostages on board the Egyptian cargo ship MV Suez urged the government to act fast to pressurise the Egyptian owners of the vessel to "seriously" negotiate the release of
the officers and crew of the ship.
Suez was hijacked by Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden on August two last year.
The pirates have given a week`s deadline seeking a ransom of USD four million in exchange for the release of the six Indian seafarers, the Merchant Navy Officers Association here said.
Association chief Ajit Singh said, "There are reports of the captives being mentally and physically tortured by their Somali captors during the captivity period."
"One can imagine their plight and that of their families. The way the entire issue is being handled gives the impression that the Centre is being bogged down by red tapism and no serious effort is being made to tackle the issue head on," Singh said.
Singh said that in the absence of a coordinated and resolute response to piracy from the international community, the sea pirates especially of Somalian origin, were getting emboldened into attacking and hijacking merchant vessels in
the Arabian sea.
The family members along with the Association demanded that India suitably increase its naval strength in the area to safeguard the sea lanes and ensure smooth passage of merchant
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof