Families of sailors held hostage by Somali pirates protest
New Delhi: Family members of the 17 sailors, who have been held hostage by Somali pirates for the past nine months, today protested outside the Shipping Ministry.
The families demanded immediate release of the sailors, who have been held captive by Somali pirates off the Gulf of Aden, between Yemen and Somalia, on UAE-owned MT Royal Grace.
"Yes, we met the Shipping Minister, and he assured us that he would do something. Pirates have threatened to kill our children if nothing is done till November 3O. So, we have decided that till they (government) decide to get them released, we will not go from here," mother of Mehtab, one of the hostages, said.
My son who has been held hostage, has two children. Nothing has happened in the past nine months, let us see what they do now," she said.
Similar is the plight of Saurav`s kin, another sailor who is in captivity.
"They (government) have said that they would meet us. We cannot trust them unless they give us something, they have been repeatedly saying that they are doing their best. Pirates have given them (sailors) a deadline till November 30. We want government to assure us that nothing would happen to our people," he said.
"We want them to get our family members released. If something happens to them, who would be held responsible," Sushil, whose younger brother Saurav is held hostage by the Somali pirates, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS