Family learnt about execution later: Afzal Guru`s cousin
Jammu: Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s family said they were not told in advance about his hanging Saturday morning and want his body.
Yaseen Guru, a cousin of Afzal Guru, told a news agency on phone: "It is all rubbish that we were told before the execution... We came to know about it through the media."
Yaseen said the family was not told that President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected his mercy petition.
"I can say with confidence that my brother (Afzal Guru) did not get a fair trial," Yaseen added.
He said Afzal Guru`s wife Tabassum was in a state of deep shock. "All that she and the rest of the family now want is his body."
The man had been buried within the premises of New Delhi`s Tihar Central Jail where he was hanged.
Yaseen told: "Not only the family but the whole of Kashmir is shocked and grieved over the hanging."
Afzal Guru, who hailed from Sopore in north Kashmir, was hanged after being convicted for his role in the Dec 13, 2001 attack on Indian parliament that almost led to a war between India and Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?