Family learnt about execution later: Afzal Guru`s cousin
Jammu: Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s family said they were not told in advance about his hanging Saturday morning and want his body.
Yaseen Guru, a cousin of Afzal Guru, told a news agency on phone: "It is all rubbish that we were told before the execution... We came to know about it through the media."
Yaseen said the family was not told that President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected his mercy petition.
"I can say with confidence that my brother (Afzal Guru) did not get a fair trial," Yaseen added.
He said Afzal Guru`s wife Tabassum was in a state of deep shock. "All that she and the rest of the family now want is his body."
The man had been buried within the premises of New Delhi`s Tihar Central Jail where he was hanged.
Yaseen told: "Not only the family but the whole of Kashmir is shocked and grieved over the hanging."
Afzal Guru, who hailed from Sopore in north Kashmir, was hanged after being convicted for his role in the Dec 13, 2001 attack on Indian parliament that almost led to a war between India and Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical