Family learnt about execution later: Afzal Guru`s cousin
Jammu: Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s family said they were not told in advance about his hanging Saturday morning and want his body.
Yaseen Guru, a cousin of Afzal Guru, told a news agency on phone: "It is all rubbish that we were told before the execution... We came to know about it through the media."
Yaseen said the family was not told that President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected his mercy petition.
"I can say with confidence that my brother (Afzal Guru) did not get a fair trial," Yaseen added.
He said Afzal Guru`s wife Tabassum was in a state of deep shock. "All that she and the rest of the family now want is his body."
The man had been buried within the premises of New Delhi`s Tihar Central Jail where he was hanged.
Yaseen told: "Not only the family but the whole of Kashmir is shocked and grieved over the hanging."
Afzal Guru, who hailed from Sopore in north Kashmir, was hanged after being convicted for his role in the Dec 13, 2001 attack on Indian parliament that almost led to a war between India and Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report