Family learnt about execution later: Afzal Guru`s cousin
Jammu: Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru`s family said they were not told in advance about his hanging Saturday morning and want his body.
Yaseen Guru, a cousin of Afzal Guru, told a news agency on phone: "It is all rubbish that we were told before the execution... We came to know about it through the media."
Yaseen said the family was not told that President Pranab Mukherjee had rejected his mercy petition.
"I can say with confidence that my brother (Afzal Guru) did not get a fair trial," Yaseen added.
He said Afzal Guru`s wife Tabassum was in a state of deep shock. "All that she and the rest of the family now want is his body."
The man had been buried within the premises of New Delhi`s Tihar Central Jail where he was hanged.
Yaseen told: "Not only the family but the whole of Kashmir is shocked and grieved over the hanging."
Afzal Guru, who hailed from Sopore in north Kashmir, was hanged after being convicted for his role in the Dec 13, 2001 attack on Indian parliament that almost led to a war between India and Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!