Family of Indian convicted in Spain blames govt of neglect
Mumbai: Family of a city-based businessman
Roshan Jamal Khan, convicted for his alleged links with terror
organisations by a Spanish court, Tuesday claimed the Centre is
neglecting them because they are Muslims.
"Just because we are Muslims, the Indian government is
neglecting us. My brother has been languishing in a jail in
Spain for two years and nothing is being done," Roshan`s
brother Mehboob Khan told reporters today.
A special anti-terrorism court in Spain sentenced Roshan
to eight and a half years imprisonment for being part of the
group which planned terror attacks in Barcelona.
Mehboob said Roshan has been falsely implicated in the
case and he has been convicted based solely on the testimony
of a co-accused.
"We have appealed time and again to the Indian government
to approach the authorities in Spain and find out on the basis
of what evidence Roshan was convicted," he said.
If the evidence is made public and it proves that Roshan
is a terrorist and guilty then we will keep quiet and accept
it, Mehboob said.
Roshan has filed an appeal challenging his conviction,
which may come up for hearing in January 2010.
Roshan, who was holding export-import licence, was on
a business trip to Spain on a three-month visa when he was
arrested from a Mosque in Barcelona with ten others on January
19 last year.
"Surprisingly the court has convicted Roshan and the
other accused only for being part of terror groups. But has
acquitted them on the charges of conspiring to carry out an
attack on Barcelona`s subway system," family advocate Parvez
According to the authorities in Spain, between 2007
and 2008, the 11 arrested accused decided to follow Jihad
advocated by Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud and planned to
carry out attacks on Barcelona`s subway system.
"The court convicted the accused relying on the statement
of a police informant whose identity was protected. He
testified that he was selected by the group to be a suicide
bomber," Mehboob said.
Parvez however alleged that the witness worked for the
France Secret Services.
"The flares recovered in the case were made in France.
There are unidentified fingerprints on the flares. However the
authorities did not compare it with the fingerprints of the
protected witness," Parvez said.
Roshan`s family, comprising his wife, four sons and two
daughters, who live in suburban Jogeshwari are in a state of
shock, Mehboob said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan