Family waiting for body of fisherman who died in Karachi
Vadodara: The family of an Indian fisherman, who died at a Karachi hospital one month ago, is still awaiting information from the Indian government on bringing his body back.
Rambhai Kanabhai Vala, resident of Tad village in Una taluka of Junagadh district of Gujarat, was arrested by Pakistan marine authorities on November 18, 2011, with seven other fishermen in the Arabian sea.
According to details received by his family, he fell ill and died at Karachi Civil Hospital on May 28.
But his son, Devsi, said that they did not yet know what arrangements government was making to bring the body back.
"One month has passed, yet we have not received his body and do not know when it would be transported from Pakistan," he said, adding that he had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh early this month in this regard.
Veljibhai Masani, vice-president of Gujarat Fishermen Association, alleged that the Association had taken up the matter with the External Affairs Ministry, but it was taking a "biased stand."
The Centre would have acted much faster had it been a case from Tamil Nadu or any other coastal state, he accused.
Masani also said that a fishermen`s welfare association in Pakistan too was pursuing the matter with the government of that country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state