Faridabad crash a reminder of several similar past incidents
New Delhi: Several mishaps similar to the
Faridabad incident, in which a plane crashed into two houses,
have taken place in the past in many parts of the world.
The images of the 9/11 terror attack during which
hijacked passenger aircraft tore through World Trade Center
Twin Towers are still fresh in the minds of most people.
But in respect of air accidents too, in which planes went
down in residential areas, the US has reported some of the
An American Airlines plane crashed into the Belle Harbour
neighborhood in New York City soon after takeoff from John F
Kennedy International Airport on November 12, 2001, killing
260 people on board and five on the ground.
On February 13, 2009, a Continental Airlines plane
crashed into a house in a Buffalo suburb, killing 49 on board
and one person in the building.
In Brazil, a TAM Airlines aircraft crashed while landing
in Sao Paulo on July 17, 2007. It crossed the runway and
rammed into a TAM Express warehouse. A total of 187 people
aboard were killed in addition to 12 people on the ground.
On April 18, 2002, a small plane slammed into the upper
floors of a skyscraper in Milan in Italy, killing three.
Closer home, in Hyderabad, an Indian Navy plane
performing at an air show crashed into a two-storeyed
residential building killing two pilots and injuring two
persons on the ground on March 3 last year.
On March 3, 1972, a Mohawk Airlines twin-engine turboprop
airliner crashed into a house in New York, killing 17 people.
Also in New York, on July 28, 1945, a B-25 bomber crashed
into the north side of the Empire State Building. The mishap
killed 14 people, including 11 office workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'