Farm loan waiver a `massive scam`: BJP
New Delhi: Citing the CAG report on farm loan waiver, BJP on Tuesday alleged that a fresh scam of over Rs 10,000 crore has surfaced in the implementation of the scheme and demanded a CBI probe to book the culprits.
According to the CAG report, nearly 34 lakh eligible farmers were denied their right to debt waiver and more than 24 lakh ineligible beneficiaries have gained through this "massive scam", BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar told reporters here.
"The CAG report is an eye opener and the BJP demands immediate CBI inquiry to unearth the real extent of the scam," he said.
The party also demanded that all the eligible farmers should be given the loan waiver benefits taking into account the outstanding as of March 31, 2013.
Javadekar noted that CAG has till now only checked 90,000 accounts out of 3.5 cr accounts.
"Even with this small sampling, the CAG has found out that 13 per cent eligible farmers were not considered by the lending institutions while preparing list of eligible farmers. Moreover, 8.5 per cent of ineligible beneficiaries got undue windfall profit," Javadekar said.
BJP charged that the Congress has become synonymous with corruption as yet another scam has now come to light after the Commonwealth Games, 2G Spectrum, Coal and the VVIP chopper scams.
"We demand that the inquiry must fix the responsibility and action must be taken against the guilty," he said, adding that the Swaminathan Commission formula of calculating remunerative prices- which is cost of production plus 50 per cent- be accepted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill