Farmer leader Tevatia on fast-unto-death
Ghaziabad: Farmer leader Manveer Singh
Tevatia, who is lodged in Dasna jail here, on Sunday went on a
fast-unto-death protesting registration of false cases against
him, a jail official said.
Tevatia has demanded withdrawal of all alleged false
cases registered against him and other farmer leaders and
immediate halt of land acquisition process in Uttar Pradesh,
jail superintendent Viresh Raj Sharma said.
He also wants that the acquired land should be returned
to the farmers, Sharma said, adding that his demands have been
conveyed to the district administration.
Meanwhile, senior BJP leader and local MP Rajnath Singh
yesterday requested Tevatia to suspend his fast as his
services were required by the farmers.
Tevatia was arrested in July for allegedly inciting a
clash between farmers and policemen in Bhatta-Parsaul villages
in Greater Noida in which four people were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed