Farmer suicides a matter of shame: Swaminathan
Vijayawada: Eminent agricultural scientist
M S Swaminathan today said here the farmers` suicides was a
matter of shame for the country, and holding mere discussions
was no solution.
Speaking after receiving Dr Pinnamaneni and Smt Sita Devi
Memorial Award here this evening, Swaminathan asserted that
welfare of farmers was key to the economic growth.
Better insurance policies were needed for the farming
sector, he said, adding that `agri clinics` and `agri business
centres` should be promoted and marketing of agro products
should be improved.
Success of the Food Security Bill lies only in the hands
of the farmers, Swaminathan stated. "Farmers are the
custodians of the food security bill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?