Farmer suicides a matter of shame: Swaminathan
Vijayawada: Eminent agricultural scientist
M S Swaminathan today said here the farmers` suicides was a
matter of shame for the country, and holding mere discussions
was no solution.
Speaking after receiving Dr Pinnamaneni and Smt Sita Devi
Memorial Award here this evening, Swaminathan asserted that
welfare of farmers was key to the economic growth.
Better insurance policies were needed for the farming
sector, he said, adding that `agri clinics` and `agri business
centres` should be promoted and marketing of agro products
should be improved.
Success of the Food Security Bill lies only in the hands
of the farmers, Swaminathan stated. "Farmers are the
custodians of the food security bill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing
- Instead of holidaying in Bangkok, Ravi Shastri should have been physically present for high-profile coach interview: Sourav Ganguly
- Freedom 251: Will Ringing Bells ever deliver the Rs 251 smartphone?
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 606—Tanushree's plan to denigrate Pragya ends with a facepalm