Farmer suicides a matter of shame: Swaminathan
Vijayawada: Eminent agricultural scientist
M S Swaminathan today said here the farmers` suicides was a
matter of shame for the country, and holding mere discussions
was no solution.
Speaking after receiving Dr Pinnamaneni and Smt Sita Devi
Memorial Award here this evening, Swaminathan asserted that
welfare of farmers was key to the economic growth.
Better insurance policies were needed for the farming
sector, he said, adding that `agri clinics` and `agri business
centres` should be promoted and marketing of agro products
should be improved.
Success of the Food Security Bill lies only in the hands
of the farmers, Swaminathan stated. "Farmers are the
custodians of the food security bill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- FSSAI to remove potassium bromate from food additives list
- French Open 2016: Stan Wawrinka escapes historic blow, Garbine Muguruza struggles
- Cancer-causing chemicals found in bread samples, says CSE; Health Ministry orders probe
- Help your child grow with Ziro, a dexterous robotics kit for kids!
- Baltimore police officer acquitted in Freddie Gray death