Farmer suicides a matter of shame: Swaminathan
Vijayawada: Eminent agricultural scientist
M S Swaminathan today said here the farmers` suicides was a
matter of shame for the country, and holding mere discussions
was no solution.
Speaking after receiving Dr Pinnamaneni and Smt Sita Devi
Memorial Award here this evening, Swaminathan asserted that
welfare of farmers was key to the economic growth.
Better insurance policies were needed for the farming
sector, he said, adding that `agri clinics` and `agri business
centres` should be promoted and marketing of agro products
should be improved.
Success of the Food Security Bill lies only in the hands
of the farmers, Swaminathan stated. "Farmers are the
custodians of the food security bill," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan